Many people buy one product after another, often bankrupting themselves in the process. The sad part, though, is that almost none of these people actually follow through on what they learn from these products.
Man Shopping on Internet


If you have been in internet marketing for any length of time, and even more so if you sell your own products, you may have realized something unsettling:

Many people buy one product after another, often bankrupting themselves in the process. The sad part, though, is that almost none of these people actually follow through on what they learn from these products.

(Hence the need to keep buying more products.)

You may even have done so yourself or stopped when you realized you were doing it.

But why do people buy one internet marketing product after another?

The answer is actually quite simple:

Virtually all of our (non-essential) buying decisions are driven by emotion. Good salespeople and copywriters know how to sell to your emotions.

And then we use logic afterward to justify the decision to buy it. By the time you start using logic, however, you have already decided to make the purchase – on an emotional basis.

At the end of the day, you buy something because you WANT it – not because you need it.

Allow me to elaborate…

A number of years ago, a guy named Blair Warren wrote a book called “One Sentence Persuasion”. In his book he stated the following:

“People will do anything for those who encourage their dreams, justify their failures, allay their fears, confirm their suspicions, and help them throw rocks at their enemies.”

Looking back, you may have noted that most sales letters and sales videos created over the last few years contain ALL of the above.

The reality is this:

People buy internet marketing products not because they need them, but because someone keeps “pushing their psychological buttons”.

They don’t buy products because they believe it’s a good product – they buy it because the sales letter or sales video promised to help you reach your dreams, absolve you of responsibility for your failures, put your fears to rest, or confirm that you have been manipulated by an unscrupulous “enemy”, against which they sided with you.

In other words, people buy – and keep on buying – because they are led to believe that the product will fulfill an emotional need.

Of course, in many cases the product cannot deliver on its promises – so they go looking for the next product who promises to do all of it. And since the product was bought to fulfill an emotional need, it makes little sense to actually follow through and use it.

In fact, buying the product is almost like a “fix” for an emotional need – so they do it again and again and again.


The PRODUCT is not what addresses the need. BUYING IT is what fulfills the need. Buying the product creates the perception of connecting with the seller, who “does all these things” for the buyer.

The bottom line is this:

Roughly 70% of the people who buy internet marketing products don’t use them – ever. Most of the remaining 30% who do use them, do so without really committing to it – and that’s why only a small percentage succeeds.

Of course, there are also lots of rubbish products out there. And – as has been the “trend” on Clickbank for quite a while now – the really useful information is contained in the upsells, and not in the basic product.

As such, those who only buy the basic product often have little hope of achieving any measure of success.


What can YOU do about it?

Firstly, if you are the one doing the buying…

Do your homework before you buy. Period.

DO a search for the product name on Google and/or Facebook, and go down the list of results. Don’t bother with the reviews – because many of those are fakes as well. Find out what people thought after actually buying the product.

Yes, it will require some of your time – but it will save you a LOT of money.

Secondly, if you are doing the selling…

Only sell products that will deliver on the promises made in the sales letter or sales video. In addition to that, you may want to consider selling higher ticket items.

The more someone pays for an item, the more likely he or she will be to use it – it’s a question of (perceived) value. It’s easier to let say, $27 go to waste than it is to let $247 go to waste.

The higher the price, the more likely they will be to at least try and take action on the information they purchased.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.